I know, it’s another anchovy recipe BUT I have to say that even if you think you don’t like anchovy you will love this fritter. First of all the anchovy taste is not that pronounced (you can add more if you would like it to be) and second of all, everything tastes better fried.
Zucchini Anchovy Fritters with Basil Mayo
1 large zucchini, sliced into matchsticks
2 ears of corn, kernels sliced off
2 purple potatoes, brunoise
1 tin of anchovies, minced
1 small red onion, minced
1/2 cup parsley, minced
1 cup of masa (fine corn meal)
vegetable oil for frying
1. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat the vegetable oil about 1/4 inch deep in a skillet. Form the fritters into patties and gently place in the oil. Make sure to let them brown well on one side before flipping them so they do not fall apart when you flip them.
3. Remove from the heat. If not serving right away, I like to place these on a tray in the oven on a very low setting to keep them warm.
4. Serve over sliced tomatoes with basil mayo and lemon.
1 cup basil leaves, packed
1 egg plus yolk of 1 egg
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil
1. In a food processor place the basil, egg, egg yolk and lemon juice. Blend until basil is chopped fine. With the machine running slowly begin adding the oil until the mixture becomes white and thick and creamy. Add salt to taste.